Monday, December 23, 2013

Readjusting to Western Society: What Asia Had Done to Me

After spending nearly seven months in Asia, mostly in developing countries, I needed to reacquaint myself with the way things work in the Western world. I’ve been in Europe for a couple weeks now so I’m pretty much back into the swing of things, but those first few days in Dublin were difficult. In no particular order, here are ten ways Asia has molded my thinking:
 
1.      I think every shadow/spot/movement I see out of the corner of my eye is a scurrying bug or rodent.

As much as I loved Nepal, if I never see another one of these guys it's too soon

2.      It takes some motivation to drink water straight from the tap.



3. It is no longer natural for me to flush toilet paper.
It's also not natural for me to assume a place even has toilet paper

4.      Traffic
a.       I’ve got to resist the urge to step in front of moving vehicles. Not because Asia made me suicidal or anything; it’s just that is the only way to cross the street there.
This man (and his goats) knows how to cross the street in Calcutta.
 
b.      I’ve got to check my anger at taxi cabs not zipping in and out of traffic, skipping red lights, driving up on the pavement, etc. I need to familiarize myself with basic traffic safety again.

"Crazy driver? Me? No way."

5.      I need to remind myself that prices and fares are fixed and non-negotiable. It isn’t looked kindly upon to try to barter the prices of goods.
6.      Believe it or not, some people appear to be made uncomfortable when I stare at them. Maybe it’s because they aren’t staring back at me…

Sure, but this guy liked that I was looking at him

7.      I keep converting prices into rupees and what I could get for the same amount in India. “Four Euros for coffee! I could get two decent dinners on the beach for that!”

For the price of a coffee in London I could get TEN spicy potato pancakes from this guy in Varanasi

8.      Western music? What is this racket?!

I much prefer this bro-sis duo from Pushkar (not really, but I'd gotten used to Bollywood music)

9.      Asia made me vain- I see a flash/camera and automatically assume someone is taking a photo of me.
In Pushkar I was swarmed with no less than twenty-five men wanting to snap my pic.
That hasn't been happening in Europe and I must admit I kind of miss it...

10.  “How was it?” is not an appropriate question to ask friends (or strangers) returning from the toilet. In Asia it’s obvious I’m referring to the facilities. In the western world it’s assumed I’m enquiring about one’s bowel movements.
Thanks for sharing, but I was really interested in the toilet, not your digestive issues

No comments:

Post a Comment